Our Mission Statement
We are a UMass student power organization fighting for climate justice by demanding our institution divest from the top 200 publicly traded fossil fuel companies and reinvest in projects and funds that do not perpetuate racism, classism, sexism and other systems of oppression. We organize to bring the crisis created by economic inequality and climate change to those who are responsible and challenge our University to take the bold action necessary to ensure a just future for its students, the Commonwealth and the world.
Our Formal Ask of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees
We formally ask the UMass Board of Trustees to:
- Divestment of all UMass Foundation investments in the top 200 fossil fuel companies over the course of five years.
- A declaration to never invest in fossil fuel and fossil fuel related companies in the future.
- Reinvestment of the UMass Foundation into:
- The local and regional economies.
- Socially responsible companies.
- Projects on UMass campuses and across the Commonwealth of Massachusetts that promote social justice, equality, and sustainability.